The Kite Family Hub (KFH)
In January 2020 we opened the Kite Family Hub. The Kite Family Hub (KFH) is led by our Lead Inclusion Advisor, Suzie Andrews, and Family Support Workers. We believe that parenting is the most important task that most of us will ever do, but it can also be the most challenging. With this in mind, the Kite Family Hub aims to provide Kite families with support, advice and guidance in a friendly and non-judgmental manner, as they care for their children.
The Kite Family Hub is located next to Mytchett Primary & Nursery Academy, Hamesmoor Road, Mytchett, Surrey, GU16 6JB.
As of January 2020, we have three Family Support Workers within the Kite Academy - Ruth Masih, Karen Tyler and Sarah Charlton. In September 2020 we will be joined by an Inclusion Welfare Officer, Kate Beer, who will initially be based at Fernhill.
We support families through:
- Universal access to support (available to all Kite families without referral).
- Reinforcing the link between home and school by supporting parents/carers at attending school meetings when required.
- Offering group and individual support in meeting the needs of children’s challenging behaviour.
- Support for families through difficult situations and troubling times (e.g. illness, addiction, domestic abuse, financial concerns, etc.).
- Helping families through periods of transition (e.g. to school, parental separation, moving house, bereavement, new siblings, etc.).
- Guiding families towards additional sources of support and making referrals to outside agencies.
A good partnership between home and school means that support is available to help every child thrive and achieve their very best.
Family support is available to you in the following ways:
- 1:1 in the home - your family will have a unique support plan tailored to your needs (academy referral required).
- 1:1 ’Come and Ask’ sessions - one-hour appointments are booked in advance and held across the Kite academies in the Kite Family Hub (no referral required).
- The Incredible Years and Nurturing Programme courses - both are 10-week evidence based programmes, looking at positive parenting solutions (no referral required).
- Parent/carer workshop sessions - held across the Kite academies (no referral required but places do need to be booked in advance). During the summer 2020 term these sessions have run virtually in the form of webinars.
- Drop-in sessions such as our Stay and Learn session and coffee mornings (both centrally in the Kite Family Hub and at individual academies).
At the start of each term we publish an updated timetable. These will be shared with you via your child’s academy office. They can also be located in this section on the Kite website.
If you feel you would benefit from support via the Kite Family Hub on an individual basis, please either discuss this with staff at your child's academy, attend a Come and Ask session, visit us during one of our drop-in sessions or send us an email.